Thursday, October 20, 2011

a little shop in cambodia

While the Mr and I were in Cambodia earlier this year just around the corner from where we stayed was a street filled with squeal-with-delight boutiques, along with french food as well as some full of homespun cloth items and vintage dresses. The one I loved the most was Keokjay. At first sighting I wandered in hoping to find some clothes for me having spotted some recycled and vintage things hanging outside. After saying hello and chatting with Rachael I found out what these girls are really about. They run sewing classes for HIV positive women and are all about fair trade and giving back to the community in an informative way. They were happy for me to get my camera out so...

They source vintage dresses in silks and gorgeous other fabrics and bring them all together in the one spot. Easy shopping if you get hot and bothered (like me) easily when trying things on, especially if youre in a hot country already! I still walked away with some good wardrobe additions including a homespun hemp smock that gets softer with every wash, just like Rachael said it would.

There are many things in locally woven hemp and everything that isnt vintage is handmade completely by the team.

Lots of handstitching goes into what they design.






If you find yourself in Cambodia one day pop in and say hello to these women who are doing good things and making a difference. Read more here.

4 comments:

naughty shorts! said...

how wonderful!! What a great way to run a business.

Frankie and Ray said...

Fabulous! What a find, ethical, charitable, AND gorgeous. Magic.

Elisha said...

What a fantastic story.... do you have any more? Gorgeous things and a fantastic cause...

Lisa @ .Simply Me. said...

Love it...I remember going to a shop with a similar philosophy in Cambodia, but it didn't stock such cute stuff. Maybe I'll get back there some day, it's a beautiful country!

Related Posts with Thumbnails